Jimmy Greaves is the greatest goalscorer in the history of English football! Here’s the evidenence:
- He holds the record for the most goals scored in English top level football. 357 goals in 516 games for Chelsea, Tottenham and West Ham.
- He has scored the most goals in a single season for both Chelsea and Tottenham. 41 goals in 40 games for Chelsea in 1960-61 and 37 goals in 41 games for Tottenham in 1962-63.
- He was top scorer in the First Division in six seasons. 1958-59 and 1960-61 for Chelsea. 1962-63, 1963-64, 1964-65 and 1968-69 for Tottenham.
- He was sold from Chelsea to AC Milan in June 1961 for £80,000 and returned to English football later the same year when Tottenham signed him for £99,999.
- He scored on his debut for Chelsea, England U-23, England, AC Milan, Tottenham and West Ham.
- He is the youngest player to have scored 100 goals at the top level in English football (20 years and 290 days).
- He is third highest scorer for England with 44 goals in 57 internationals behind Gary Lineker (48 goals in 80 internationals) and Bobby Charlton (49 goals in 106 internationals).
- He holds the record for the most hat-tricks for England – six.
- He scored two goals in Tottenhams’ 5-1 victory over Atletico Madrid in the 1963 Cup Winner’s-cup final. The first victory for an English club in Europe.
The title is a quote from Geoffrey Green from The Cassell Soccer Companion by David Pickering, 1997.