Half way through the season Gamba Osaka lead the Japanese J. League by five points from Urawa Red Diamonds who have a game in hand. Urawa Red Diamonds home game against JEF United Chiba on the 3rd of May attracted a crowd of over 57,000 at the Saitama Stadium.
Brazilian imports dominate the league’s top-scorer table:
- Ueslei (Sanfrecce Hiroshima) 13 goals in 14 games
- Edmilson (Albirex Niigata) 10 goals in 14 games
- Washington (Urawa Reds) 9 goals in 15 games
- Bare (Gamba Osaka) 9 goals in 16 games
- Juninho (Kawasaki Frontale) 8 goals in 15 game
- Leandro (Vissel Kobe) 7 goals in 15 games
Second placed Urawa Red Diamonds won the J-League in 2006 while current leaders Gamba Osaka won in 2005.
The two Japanese clubs in the 2006 Asian Champions League competition – Tokyo Verdy 1969 and Gamba Osaka – failed to get past the group stage. The competition was won by the South Korean club Jeonbuk.