On Wednesday The Independent newspaper in England published a list over the 10 top earners in the American MLS. LA Galaxy’s David Beckham tops the list with a yearly salary of £3,2m. In second place is the Mexican striker Cuauhtémoc Blanco on £1,3m.
Cuauhtémoc Blanco has been signed by Chicago Fire and is due to make his debut for the club after the Copa America tournament is completed. 34 year old Blanco began his career with Club America and has played for the club in four periods. He played for Real Valladolid in Spain between 2000 og 2002 scoring 3 goals in 23 appearances. He has scored 34 goals in 97 appearances for the Mexican national team making him second highest goal scorer behind ex-Bolton striker Jared Borgetti who has scored 43 in 87.
Blanco is famed for introducing a trick called the ‘Blanco Bounce‘ where he hopped over on-coming defenders with the ball wedged between his feet. He used the technique in the 1998 World Cup match against South Korea.
Blanco is also famed for his goal scoring celebration where he strikes the pose of prehispanic ruler Tlatoani Cuauhtémoc, who attempted to save the Aztecs from Spanish Conquistadors.
The current top 10 earners in the MLS:
- David Beckham (LA Galaxy) £3,256,501
- Cuauhtemoc Blanco (Chicago Fire) £1,352,700
- Juan Pablo Angel (New York Red Bulls) £801,600
- Claudio Reyna (New York Red Bulls) £626,250
- Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy) £450,000
- Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards) £438,375
- Freddy Adu (Real Salt Lake) £275,550
- Carlos Ruiz (FC Dallas) £217,935
- Clint Mathis (New York Red Bulls) £205,410
- Taylor Twellmen (New England Revolution) £175,350