- Champions League third-round qualifier: Liverpool beat Toulouse 1-0 in France. Andriy Voronin’s long range shot decided the match late in the first half. The second leg will be played in England in two weeks time.
- English Premier League: Chopra scores again as Sunderland hold Birmingham to a 2-2 draw at St. Andrews.
- English Premier League: Manchester City, Everton, and Chelsea have six points after two games. Arsenal and Liverpool didn’t play due to Champions League qualifiers.
- English Premier League: Ronaldo sent-off in Manchester United‘s fiery 1-1 draw at Portsmouth. Tevez makes debut for United and sets up Scholes’ after 15 minutes.
- Champions League third-round qualifier: Goals by Fagregas and Hleb give Arsenal a 2-0 lead over Sparta Prague before the second leg that will be played in London.
- SuperLiga: Beckham scores from a free kick in La Galaxy‘s 2-0 win over DC United in the semi-final of the SuperLiga. Beckham also set up Donovan’s second half goal. A crowd of 17,223 watched the game. Galaxy meet Mexican side CF Pachuca in the final on the 29th August.