Heres some details on Sven Goran Eriksson‘s table topping Manchester City team that won the Manchester derby on Sunday 19-8-2007. The team was a mixture of young homegrown talent and summer signings:
- Kasper Schmeichel – 20 year old goalkeeper. Son of Peter Schmeichel. Loans periods at Darlington, Bury and Falkirk.
- Javier Garrido – 22 year old Spanish defender. Played 83 games for La Liga team Real Sociedad before signing for City for £1.5m before this season.
- Micah Richards – 19 year old English defender. Has played 44 games for City. 4 full caps for England.
- Richard Dunne – 27 year old Irish defender. City’s captain. 60 games for Everton before he was bought by City for £3m autumn 2000. Has now played over 220 games for City.
- Vedran Corluka – 21 year old Croatian defender signed from Dinamo Zagreb august 2007.
- Geovanni – Sunday’s goal scorer. 27 year old Brazilian attacking midfielder who has played for Benfica and Barcelona. Signed for City before this season.
- Dietar Hamann – 33 year old German defensive midfielder. Previous clubs Bayern Munich, Newcastle and Liverpool. Signed for Manchester City before last season.
- Michael Johnson – 19 year old English midfielder was schoolboy terms with Everton but never made full debut before he moved to City.
- Martin Petrov – 28 year old Bulgarian left winger. Signed from Spanish Atletico Madrid for £4.7m this summer. 66 full caps for Bulgaria.
- Valeri Bojinov – 21 year old Bulgarian striker. Signed from Italian Fiorentina for £5.75m this summer. Was on loan to Juventus last season. Has scored five goals in 11 appearances for Bulgaria.
- Elano – 26 year old Brazilian midfielder. Signed from Ukranian Shakhtar Donetsk for £8m. 15 full caps for Brazil.