- English Premier League: Manchester Utd secure first win of the season thanks to a long range strike by Nani in the 68th minute. Tottenham had the game’s biggest chances but failed to find the net at Old Trafford. Tottenham have now lost three of the season’s first four matches.
- English Premier League: Newcastle lead twice away at Middlesbrough but the match ends 2-2.
- Italian Serie A: AC Milan open with a 3-0 win at Genoa. Brazilian midfielder Kaka scores two. A own goal by Inter‘s Cordoba in the 90th minute gives Udinese a point against 10 man Inter.
- Dutch Eredivisie: Ajax (4-1 Heerenveen) and PSV (5-0 NAC) both win.
- Spanish La Liga: Barcelona open with 0-0 draw at Racing Santander. Santander played the final 20 minutes with 10 men.
- Portugal: Porto beat Sporting 1-0 thanks to a 54th minute goal by Raul Meireles.