- Spanish La Liga: Sevilla’s 22 year old defender Antonio Puerta dies in hospital after he had suffered a heart attack during Sunday’s game against Getafe.
- English Premier League: 34 year old Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer retires.
- UEFA Champions League Qualifier: Liverpool beat French Toulouse 4-0 (aggregate 5-0) . Kuyt scores two in the finals minutes of the match.
- UEFA Champions League Qualifier: Rangers quailify for the group stages by holding Red Star Belgrade to a goalless draw in the Serbian capital.
- English League Cup: Blackpool from the Championship beat Premier League newcomers Derby 7-6 on penalties at Pride Park.
- English League Cup: Luton who where relegated from the Championship last season had a convincing 3-0 victory over Sunderland.
- English League Cup: West Ham beat Bristol Rovers 2-1 away thanks to two goals by Craig Bellamy. New signing Kieron Dyer breaks his leg.
- English League Cup: Nottingham Forest vs Leicester is abandoned at half time after that Leicester defender Clive Clarke collapses with heart failure and is rushed to hospital.