21-10-1933: Francisco Gento, one of the legends of the great Real Madrid team of the 1950’s and 1960’s, was born on this day in 1933. Gento won 12 La Liga titles with Real Madrid. He played in eight European Cup finals winning six and losing two. The only other player to have played in eight finals is AC Milan’s Paolo Maldini (won five lost three).
- 1956: Won 4-3 vs French Reims
- 1957: Won 2-0 vs Italian Fiorentina (Gento scores Real’s second goal)
- 1958: Won 3-2 vs Italian AC Milan (Gento scores winner for Real in extra-time)
- 1959: Won 2-0 vs French Reims
- 1960: Won 7-3 vs German Eintracht Frankfurt
- 1962: Lost 5-3 vs Portuguese Benfica
- 1964: Lost 3-1 vs Italian Inter
The 1960 team included Gento, Di Stefano (who scored three) and Puskas (who scored four).
Gento played 43 times for Spain scoring five goals. He was a member of the Spanish team that won the 1964 European Championship which was held in Spain.