6-11-1986: On this day in 1986 Alex Ferguson replaced Ron Atkinson as manager of Manchester United.
Ferguson has won two European trophies with United here’s some details:
15-5-1991 Cup Winners’ Cup Final vs Barcelona played at Feyenoord Stadion in Rotterdam in front of a crowd of 43,500. United won 2-1 with Mark Hughes scoring both goals (67th and 74th minute). Ronald Koeman reduced for Barca in the 79th minute.
Manchester United team: Sealey; Irwin, Blackmore, Bruce, Pallister; Phelan, Robson, Ince, Sharpe; Hughes, McClair
United defeated the following teams on the way to the final:
- First round: Pecsi MFC, Hungary (2-0 & 1-0)
- Second Round: Wrexham, Wales (3-0 & 2-0)
- Quarter-final: Montpellier, France (1-1 & 2-0)
- Semi-final: Legia Warsaw, Poland (3-1 & 1-1)
26-5-1999 Champions League Final vs Bayern Munich played at Camp Nou, Barcelona in front of a crowd of 90,000. United won 2-1. Bayern Munich took the lead in the 6th minute through Mario Basler but United turned the game in injury time Sheringham scored in the 91st and Solskjaer the winner in the 93rd minute.
Manchester United team: Schmeichel; Neville, Stam, Johnsen, Irwin; Giggs, Butt, Beckham, Blomqvist; Cole, Yorke
United had defeated the following teams on the way to the final:
- Oualifying: LKS Lodz, Poland (2-0 & 0-0)
- Group: second place in a group consisting of Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Brondby.
- Quarter-final: Inter, Italy (2-0 & 1-1)
- Semi-final: Juventus, Italy (1-1 & 3-2)