This is part two of the search for the best English player of recent times. In part one I looked at various awards that have been won by English players since 1974.
In this post I’ll look at the FourFourTwo magazines My Perfect XI column in a search for England’s best player. The team’s are picked based on different criteria but it gives some idea of which English players are admired. Only English players since ca 1970 are listed.
- October 2007: Les Ferdinand (Dream team) selected Sol Campbell, Tony Adams, Paul Ince, Paul Gascoigne and Alan Shearer
- August 2005: Jurgen Klinsmann (2004-5 Champions League) selected Jamie Carragher, John Terry, Ashley Cole and Steven Gerrard.
- February 2005: Dennis Bergkamp (Players he’s known) selected Martin Keown, Tony Adams and Glenn Hoddle.
- October 2004: Tom Finney (Dream team) selected Bryan Robson
- September 2004: Norman Hunter (Hard men) selected Paul Reaney, Tommy Smith, Ron Yeats, Stuart Pearce, Mike Summerbee and Cyrille Regis.
- July 2004: Roberto Carlos (Best players of Euro 2004) selected Sol Campbell and David Beckham.
- June 2004: John Motson (Greatest ever performances in European Championships) selected Paul Gascoigne
- May 2004: Michael Robinson (La Liga dream team) selected David Beckham.
- August 2003: Ray Wilkins (Former team-mates) selected Peter Shilton, Dave Watson, Kenny Sansom, Steve Coppell, Bryan Robson, Glenn Hoddle, Gary Lineker
- June 2003: Jack Charlton (Dream team) selected Tony Adams, Bryan Robson, Chris Waddle, Gary Lineker
- May 2003: Alan Shearer (Played with or against) selected Peter Shilton, Lee Dixon, Tony Adams, Russell Osman, Stuart Pearce, David Beckham, Paul Gascoigne, Paul Scholes, Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham
- August 2002: Rio Ferdinand (Dream team) selected John Barnes.
- September 2001: Brian Moore (Dream team) selected David Beckham and Kevin Keegan.
- July 2001: Ashley Cole (Dream team) selected Ashley Cole and Tony Adams.
To be continued …